If you start to get itchy feet and want to go farther afield than the beach there's all sorts of fun, interesting things to do within a 50 mile radius of Innerarity Point and Perdido Key.
I've tried to give a sampling of the best that we've found and some links as a jumping off place for you to get some ideas of your own. By all means, please let us know if you do something great, have a fun adventure, or find a wonderful treasure and we'll include it on this portion of our site.
Great area info:
- Lost Key Golf Club, FL — Designed by Arnold Palmer
- Perdido Bay Country Club, FL
- Marcus Point Golf Club, FL
- Gulf State Park Golf Course, AL
National and State Parks
- Gulf Islands National Seashore, FL
- Big Lagoon State Park, FL
- Perdido Key State Park, FL
- Fort Pickens State Park, FL
- Tarklin Bayou Preserve State Park, FL
- Gulf State Park, AL
- Fort Morgan State Historic Site, AL
- Blackwater River state Park, FL
We have a resident heron and a few pelicans who hang out on our dock. You can watch them from the deck. Sometimes they watch you! And occasionally an osprey does a fly by while looking for a meal. If you're a little more serious 'birder' here are a few sites to check out, www.alabamacoastalbirdingtrail.com and floridabirdingtrail.com
The Annual Alabama Coastal Bird Fest is timed to coincide with the annual fall migration of many birds from North America to Central and South America. There is something for all birders from beginners to experts! Click on the following link for more information: www.alabamacoastalbirdfest.com or call (251) 990-0420
- National Museum of Naval Aviation, on the Pensacola Naval Base (Home of the Blue Angels!)
- Pensacola Museum of Art, downtown Pensacola, FL
- Battleship Memorial Park, U.S.S. Alabama, Mobile, AL
- Bellingrath Gardens and Home, Mobile, AL
- Differently themed gallery nights in downtown Pensacola, http://www.downtownpensacola.com/gallerynight/ or call (850) 432-9906. Find your own favorites.
- Also check out Fairhope, AL fairhopemerchants.com.php5-18.websitetestlink.com/?page_id=17
- Pensacola Symphony Orchestra
- Pensacola's Saenger Theatre
- Pensacola Little Theater
- Ballet Pensacola
- Pensacola Opera
- General info and calendar for the year. There's lots more listed here.
- And here.
- And also here!
- Pensacola JazzFest, April 2 and 3, 2011. www.jazzpensacola.com or call (850) 433-8382
- Interstate Mullet Toss at the Florabama Lounge, Friday, April 29 – Sunday, May 1, 2011 www.florabama.com or call (850) 492-0611
- The Annual National Shrimp Festival at Gulf Shores, AL. public beach is always on the 2nd full weekend of October. Eat lots of great shrimp, listen to lots of great music, see lots of great arts and crafts, www.nationalshrimpfestival.com, or call (251) 968-4237
- The Annual Alabama Coastal Bird Fest is timed to coincide with the annual fall migration of many birds from North America to Central and South America. There is something for all birders from beginners to experts. www.alabamacoastalbirdfest.com, or call (251) 990-0420
- The Frank Brown International Songwriters Festival is in November every year. Performance venues range from Pensacola to Magnolia Springs, AL, www.fbisf.com or call (850) 492-7664
- Bikes can be rented from Beach Bike Rentals, 1620 E. 2nd Street in Orange Beach, AL., (251) 968-1770, http://www.beachbikerentals.net/. They should deliver.
- Wallace Boat Rentals, http://www.wallaceboatrentals.com/
Kayaking and Canoeing
Bring your own boats. You can launch then from the yard right into Perdido Bay.
- Kayak and canoe rental, Pensacola Kayak and Sail, Inc. 850 456 5856, Monday – Saturday 9 – 5.
- Blackwater River state Park, FL
- More info and links
Scuba Diving and Snorkeling
World's largest artificial reef, U.S.S. Oriskany
- Pensacola/Perdido dive information http://www.divespots.com/scuba/dive.divespot?spotID=330
We're rather strange, we actually love to cook while on vacation down here because of the huge array of fresh fish and southern ingredients that we can't get back home. Consequently, we don't tend to go out very often even though there are tons of restaurants with excellent reputations close by.
The exception to that rule is The Original Point Restaurant, (850) 492-3577, a local legend, specializing in mullet (the local fish) and offering the best smoked tuna dip I've ever had. The homemade gumbo, crab bisque, fresh Apalachicola oysters, and steamed royal red shrimp rock too! Go on Friday or Saturday night when 'Bubba and Them' usually play live blue–grass music. Tons of fun and just about a mile east of the house so you can easily walk off that piece of key lime pie on the way home.
The Shrimp Basket is also a fun spot with good food, friendly service and inexpensive prices. Check out their daily specials, http://www.shrimpbasket.com/perdido.html, 14600 Perdido Key Dr, Pensacola, FL 32507, (850) 492-1970.
And the Fisherman's Corner, a local hang-out, where you can sit on the screened in porch and have wonderful local seafood cooked fresh. It's under the Theo Barr's Bridge, take a right after the Circle K just before the rise up to the bridge. 13486 Perdido Key Dr, Pensacola, FL 32507, (850) 492-5574.
Mojo's Coffee, our neighborhood 'starbucks' with free wi-fi hook up. On the north east corner of the intersection right before the bridge. 13430 Gulf Beach Hwy, Pensacola, FL (850) 497-0202
Here are a few other restaurants with high ratings
- The Fish House and The Atlas Oyster House, Downtown Pensacola, FL (850) 492-3577 and (850) 437-1961
- The Oyster Bar, just over the bridge on Perdido Key, FL Overlooking the Intercoastal waterway. Perdido Key Oyster Bar, Restaurant & Marina: 13700 River Rd, Perdido, FL 32507. (850) 492-5600
- LuLu's, under the bridge in Gulf Shores, AL. Jimmy Buffet's sister's place. (251) 967-LULU (5858)
- General list of other area restaurants
If you're serious foodies, New Orleans is only about 3 hours away. Go stay at The Court of the Three Sisters and eat your way thru town for a day or two!
There are wonderful places to shop around here whether you're looking for something unique or looking to save some money. From roadside farmer's stands, small specialty stores and boutiques, to huge malls there's something for everyone.
- Fairhope, AL Lots of charming little shops and restaurants. Great to spend the day. www.fairhopemerchants.com.php5-18.websitetestlink.com/
- Downtown Pensacola, FL Shop in the heart of the historic district and then take a self-guided walking tour. www.pensacolahistory.org Stop and have lunch at Dharma Blue on Seville Square. Great food and art. www.dharmablue.com, (850) 433-1275
- Tanger Outlet Mall, Foley, AL www.tangeroutlet.com or call (251) 943-8888 for times and directions
- Silver Sands Factory Stores, Destin, FL. The nations largest designer outlet center. www.silversandsoutlet.com, (850) 654-9771
- Alvin's Island, if you're looking for kitschy beach stuff and spring break t-shirts, here's your place. 24949 Perdido Beach Blvd, Orange Beach, AL, (251) 974-1123
Winn-Dixie is our nearest grocery store.
13019 Sorrento Rd
Pensacola, FL 32507
Phone Number: (850) 492-2076
Pharmacy Phone: (850) 492-3335
Mon – Fri: 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Sat: 8:00 – 6:00 PM
Sun: 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Facilities: ATM, Floral, Deli, Bakery, Seafood, Pharmacy
- Nearest bait, tackle, and license shop, Grays Tackle & Guide Service, 13019 Sorrento Road, Pensacola, FL, (850) 492-2666
Speciality Food Stores and Farmers Markets
- Joe Patti's Seafood, Pensacola, FL — Go here to buy fresh shrimp and seafood just pulled out of the water. A great dockside market. (850) 432-3315
- J. W. Renfroe Pecan Company, Pensacola, FL — You've got to make (or at least eat!) pecan pie while you're here. (850) 432-2083
- Ever'man Natural Foods — The best local health food store, try their 'Gulf Breeze' honey, the mildest honey I've ever had. (850) 438-0402
- Pensacola Growers Market
- Alabama Farmers Markets, seasonal
Weddings and Special Events
Our property is a unique place to have your outdoor wedding or event with its big front lawn sloping down to Perdido Bay and its beautiful views.
- General Information on wedding and party planners in the area
- Bliss Event Group (unbelievably fabulous weddings (and events) and a full range of planning services)
Other Great Things To Do
Blue Angels Air Shows – 2 major shows
July on Pensacola Beach, FL, FREE
November - Blue Angels Homecoming Air Show at the Pensacola Naval Air Station, FREE
See http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/index.htm for exact schedule OR call (850) 452-BLUE (2583).
Even if you're not here at these major show times call (850) 452-2583 to find out if they're in town. If they're here, you can head out to the Base (it's a few minutes down the road) and catch them practicing. Sometimes the pilots and crew even have a 'meet and greet' in the museum afterwards. Very up close and personal and a lot less crowded as they don't advertise these at all, mostly for family and friends of the crew. Call the night before you go to make sure you can get on the base and the time of the practice for the next day. It's usually pretty early.
- Yoga classes at the Perdido Bay Community Center, 13360 Innerarity Point Road, 850 497 0000 Call for days and times.
If we don't have enough books at the house for you there's always the local library. Unfortunately, at this time you can't check books out but you can read, do research and use the computers while at the library. It's a couple miles down the road, on your left, across from the entrance to Big Lagoon State Park.
Southwest Branch Library
12248 Gulf Beach Highway
Pensacola, FL 32507
Mon, Tues, Wed, & Thurs: 9 AM – 8 PM
Fri & Sat: 9 AM – 5 PM